Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Position: Why I think therapists of children with autism should read blogs regarding Autism Advocacy

My thoughts on Autism Advocacy got some traffic today. Interestingly enough--that was the most traffic that my blog has EVER received in one day. I guess I need to start writing about more issues and less about Post Secret and random Google searches. Fun things, indeed, but not much for conversation, I guess. Anyway--since I posted about Autism Advocacy and then stated that I think therapists should read these blogs, I thought I might take the time to state why I believe that.

Let me preface my position by, again, stating that this is a PERSONAL opinion and not the opinion of my current nor any of my previous employers.

I believe that people who support, teach, or provide therapy to people with Autism should take the time to understand how someone with Autism might feel about all these things that are done on their behalf. I feel the same about someone who works in a Domestic Abuse shelter--it might be nice to get the perspective from a victim.

Another example would be someone who is a drug or alcohol counselor. It might be nice for some one who is counseling an addict to listen to the addict's perspective directly from the addict. Not only from the addict's family, teachers, caregivers or other supports. All those people have the addict's best interest in mind and want to help, but there is also benefit in taking the time to listen to the person being helped--even if that person is communicating nonverbally. As a therapist, I believe that I am MOST effective when I understand the person I am directly trying to help. That is--the person with Autism.

Because I expect this of myself, I expect my staff to strive for the same understanding too.

No comments: