Saturday, December 27, 2008

Stuff!


I wanna take a minute to write about "stuff." I, of all people, probably should not be preaching to others about not buying what one does not need. After all, I LOVE gadgets, a high quality hand bags, and shoes! I am the first to admit that I have more of all of these things than I really need. So. . .as you can see, for me to tell YOU, that YOU shouldn't buy more stuff is a little bit hypocritical.

Here's the kicker to my love of stuff--I am sooooooooooo frugal. I compare prices on everything (including those gadgets). If I can get my stuff at Goodwill or a garage sale, I do. I search forums, read reviews, and pretty much never buy anything full price if I don't have to. I love to barter with friends and I have ended up with some pretty cool stuff that way!

I think my level of frugality is what is saving me right now. I have always been frugal, so even when times were good, I was doing the exact same thing I am doing now. Yes, I do love "stuff." I have a penchant for handbags, shoes, and those darn gadgets. But. . . . . I don't run out on a whim and buy, buy, buy. I don't listen to commercials to tell me what I want. I rarely make impulse purchases (point in hand, I researched for almost two years before I decided to buy a hedgehog).
So although I can't tell you to stop buying or that you really don't need that Gucci bag, what I can tell you is that you should shop wisely. Be smart. Shop around. Compare prices for that high end item you want. Barter. And don't let corporations tell YOU what YOU want!!!

No comments: